Horsemeat scandal: Legal action begins in Europe

By Gerald Heneghan

Court cases related to the ongoing horsemeat contamination scandal are set to begin today (February 11th) in Europe.

Britain is set to hold crisis talks with a number of countries on the continent and Environment secretary Owen Paterson revealed that processors and suppliers embroiled in the situation would be commencing legal action.

He branded the widespread contamination “sickening” and voiced his hope for a swift resolution.

“I will be talking to ministerial counterparts in Europe today because it is absolutely intolerable that a fraud is being carried out on the public,” Mr Paterson told Sky News.

Last week saw food retailer Findus become the latest company to fall foul of tainted beef products, withdrawing its lasagne product after it tested positive for more than 60 per cent horsemeat.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) yesterday issued interim advice to public institutions, warning that “rigorous” procurement procedures are expected to be put in place.

“The evidence to date does not suggest there is a food safety risk. If further information indicates any health risk then the FSA will provide consumers with advice,” said the body.

Mr Paterson went on to note that the UK government is unable to institute a ban on imported meat unless a risk to human health is discovered.

“Arbitrary measures like that are not actually going to help,” he said. “We are bound by the rules of the European market.”

    Tags:

    • Show Comments (0)

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    comment *

    • name *

    • email *

    • website *

    Ads

    You May Also Like

    FEARS ENERGY SECTOR CHANGES COULD TRIGGER SURGE IN COLD CALLING

    FEARS ENERGY SECTOR CHANGES COULD TRIGGER SURGE IN COLD CALLING

    Changes in the way gas and electricity is able to be sold could lead ...

    Police are investigating the 'unexplained and sudden' death of a 10 year-old boy at his home. Paramedics were called to a property in Ilfracombe, Devon near the town's Lidl supermarket around 7am today. (Monday) Half an hour later they called police confirming the "sudden death" of the youngster, who has not been named. Devon and Cornwall police launched an investigation and said the death was being treated as "unexplained". Officers have not confirmed the boy's exact address but say the child's family have been informed.

    ARMED POLICE STORM CENTRE AFTER TWO STABBED

    Armed police stormed a mental health centre and arrested knifeman in his pants after ...

    Jimmy Savile abuse report released today

    By Gerald Heneghan Jimmy Savile abused more than 500 children, some as young as ...

    Login