What are the differences between a boiler cover and a central heating cover?

What are the differences between a boiler cover and a central heating cover?

As with any insurance policy, a boiler and central heating policy offer cover against unforeseen events that might interrupt your heating or hot water.

However, there are differences between the two policies, and it’s important to understand the differences if you’re considering buying a boiler or central heating cover. Not many people realize that central heating systems need a routine maintenance check, just like their engines. However, an annual boiler check-up is even more important, as faulty systems can cause huge inconvenience and property damage.

That said, if you’re new to the central heating game, it can all seem a little overwhelming. So, what are the differences between a boiler cover and a central heating cover, and how do you choose which is best for you?

Boiler and central heating cover: what offers what?

Central heating covers and boiler covers are usually sold as one combined policy. Homeowners can insure their boiler and radiators, pumps, pipework, and immersion heaters with a central heating cover. Boiler cover, meanwhile, means that homeowners can insure their boiler only and doesn’t include a central heating cover.

The level of protection provided by central heating and boiler covers varies. A standard central heating and boiler cover usually offers the level of cover recommended by insurance companies, and, therefore, most insurance providers would class this as ‘basic’ cover. However, there are also ‘enhanced’ and ‘very enhanced’ levels of cover, which can raise the level of cover provided by central heating and boiler cover.

The age of your boiler and central heating system can affect the level of cover provided by central heating and boiler covers. Since older boilers and central heating systems are more vulnerable to damage, homeowners should ensure that the level of coverage provided by central heating and boiler covers is adequate to protect their homes.

Boiler and central heating cover usually include the following:

  • Essential home repairs
  • Boiler breakdown
  • Boiler replacements
  • Heating system breakdown
  • Damage to your property
  • Accidental damage
  • Vandalism
  • Lost keys
  • Accidental discharge
  • Flood
  • Emergency call-out
  • Legal expenses
  • Appliances

Which one is best for you?

There’s little doubt that boilers and central heating systems are expensive to run. But, as with any household appliance, it’s important to get as much use as you can from them, which involves keeping them in proper working order.

Boiler cover and central heating cover are two types of insurance that protect properties against their boilers’ failure and central heating systems. But which one should you choose — and, more importantly, how do you know which one you need? There are four main differences between central heating and boiler cover:

  • Central heating cover usually covers the property itself, whereas boiler cover usually covers the boiler itself.
  • Central heating cover is usually only offered as part of a home insurance policy, whereas boiler cover is usually a standalone policy.
  • Central heating cover is usually available at two grades: standard and premium, whereas boiler cover is usually offered in a single grade.
  • Central heating cover tends to offer higher levels of cover than boiler cover because central heating systems tend to be more complex, but boiler cover is usually cheaper.

Interestingly, many home insurance policies offer central heating cover as standard, so it may be worthwhile checking boiler cover information before investing in boiler cover. If you’re not sure whether your property has central heating or boiler, check the boiler’s label, which is usually found on the wall, or ask your landlord — it’s likely to be somewhere on the property.

The boiler cover protects the boiler itself, which can be expensive to replace. In most cases, boiler cover is offered as a standalone policy, although it can be included in a home insurance or landlord insurance policy. Boiler cover usually covers the entire boiler, including parts, labour and call-out charges

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


    Register | Lost your password?