Disabled woman risks losing home after mobility allowance is stopped

Disabled woman risks losing home after mobility allowance is stopped

A DISABLED woman who claims her condition is getting worse has been stripped of the benefits she relies on by cold-hearted officials.

Gemma Goode, 24, says she risks ‘losing everything’ and has hit out at the Government after her mobility allowance was withdrawn.

Miss Goode, an administrator, was born with most of her fingers and toes missing and finds it difficult to walk.

The benefit, which she has received for seven years, supplied her with a rental car which she relied on to get to work and carry out basic tasks like shopping.

But now she faces sacrificing her job.

Miss Goode, from Duston, Northampton, said she felt let down by the Government.

“A car is essential to me living a normal life. It means I can go shopping, get to the swimming pool and more importantly get to work,” she said.

“I cried when I found out because this means the end of life as I know it.”

The Department of Work and Pensions said Miss Goode no longer met the criteria for the allowance, despite supporting letters from doctors and surgeons.

She has been forced to take days off to allow her feet to recover from the two-hour bus journey to and from work, but fears she will eventually have to resign as her condition worsens.

Her dreams of starting a degree at The University of Northampton in September will also be dashed without the benefit.

She continued: “I can’t understand why this time round my claim has been refused. They said their criteria hasn’t changed and my condition has actually got worse, so it doesn’t make any sense.

“I’m at risk of losing my home, everything, if I lose my job.

“At the moment I have to take anti-inflammatory tablets and painkillers to get me through the day as it’s a struggle to walk very far but I can’t keep this up.”

Miss Goode’s case is being taken to appeal by Northampton Community Law, but could take up to 12 months to be dealt with.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Work and Pensions said: “If someone’s needs change they may not be entitled to the benefit any more or they may get it at a different rate.

“If people disagree with a decision they should contact the department to reconsider and can provide any additional medical evidence if needed .”

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


    Register | Lost your password?