A man in the car in which a 13 year old girl was injured after a moped rider opened fire at them said the gunman, who wore a balaclava, was out to kill someone.

The girl was given first aid by police before being taken to hospital with minor injuries.

The man, who did not want to be named said: “I believe he intended to do something.

“He had a knife, a gun and a balaclava on. He was out to do something.

“After he shot us he was still pursuing us. He wanted to kill someone.”

The 23-year-old driver sped from the scene off Brick Lane before pulling up a mile away outside Bethnal Green police station which went into lockdown after the pair dashed inside.

Shocked eye-witnesses told how armed police “swarmed” outside the station and surrounding streets were sealed off in the hunt for the gunman.

Forensics officers were seen examining an apparent bullet hole in the back of the battered Mitsubishi Colt.

Cheshire Street, where the shots were fired, is home to trendy boutiques, apartments and pubs including the Carpenters Arms, once the haunt of the notorious Kray twins.

Charity worker Sarah Woolley, 28, said: “A man was speaking with officers outside the station – pointing to a car and then down the road.

“Then a big rush of police officers came outside and armed officers swarmed.

“The car was dented on its side and there was a big dark puddle underneath the car.

“They were all peering in the back window of the car and pointing at something.”

Another witness, who asked not to be named, said: “He drove up the one-way street the wrong way, they jumped out and ran into the police station.

“Seconds later there were about a dozen police surrounding the car and the whole area was taped off.”

A 31-year-old local resident added: “When you live close to a police station you expect to hear people’s problems, but not like this.

“Nothing has ever happened like this before.”

Police are appealing for witnesses as the hunt for the gunman continues.

The investigation is being led by detectives from The Met’s specialist gang unit Trident.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “A 23-year-old man attended Bethnal Police Station at around 5.50pm on Wednesday to report that a firearm had been discharged in the direction of his car.

“The man was accompanied by a 13-year-old girl, who was in the car and had received a minor injury as a result of the incident.

“She was given First Aid by officers and then taken in an ambulance to an east London hospital to receive treatment.

“Following initial inquiries officers established that the incident happened in the area of Cheshire Street, Bethnal Green.

“Local officers along with firearms officers attended and road closures were put in place whilst a search of the area was carried out.

“Roads in the area have since reopened along with Bethnal Green Police station, which was closed due to the victim receiving medical treatment.

“There have been no arrests. Inquiries are ongoing.

“Detectives from the Trident and Area Crime Command are investigating.”

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


    Register | Lost your password?