A mentally ill thug assaulted a man in a busy city centre, biting his ear off and spitting it onto the floor, a court heard.

Evil Aldermuoy Romeo, 23, violent attacked Damminie Powell at around 2pm on November 4.

The victim, who knew Romeo, had a chunk of his ear bitten off by Romeo in the horrific assault in Leicester city centre.

Mr Powell’s ear was put on ice and surgeons stitched his ear lobe back on following Romeo’s outburst.

Romeo, from Humberstone, Leicester, was unfit to enter a plea or to stand trial, but a jury concluded he committed “the act” of wounding with intent.

Judge Simon Hammond said that three psychiatrists agreed that Romeo was mentally ill and suggested a hospital order be imposed so he can receive treatment.

Addressing the jury at Leicester Crown Court after they reached their agreement, the judge said: “He has a previous conviction and it’s a very worrying case.”

Remanding Romeo back into prison custody, pending a further psychiatric assessment, the judge told him: “I want the doctors’ view of what should happen to you regarding a hospital order.”

Mr Powell did not give evidence in court but his statement, which was unchallenged by the defence and accepted as accurate, was read out at Leicester Crown Court.

He said that at the time of the attack, he was on East Street in Leicester City Centre, and was heading to the Y Theatre at the YMCA.

Describing the brutal attack, Mr Powell said: “I noticed a male I knew, Aldermuoy Romeo, who was walking towards me as if to talk to me.

“As I got closer I wanted to avoid him, by turning into the doorway of the YMCA.

“As I tried to walk in he grabbed me from behind taking me by surprise.

“He attempted to get me in a head-lock but I stopped this.

“He grabbed my waist and attempted to pick me up but I was able to stop it and struggled, trying to get away.”

Mr Powell explained how Romeo grabbed hold of his head and neck and tried to bite his cheek twice, but was unsuccessful.

He said: “The third time, I felt him bite down hard with his teeth on my earlobe.”

Mr Powell described how he he could feel his ear tearing as Romeo clenched his teeth and pushed his head backwards.

He added: “The pain was excruciating and there was blood pouring down the left side of my face.

“I saw him spit part of my ear on the floor. He then walked off up the street.”

James Varley, prosecuting, showed the jury a photograph of Mr Powell’s injury.

Romeo and Mr Powell are believed to have had difficulties in the past.

Matthew Hardyman, for Romeo, said inquiries were being made about whether a bed in a medium secure psychiatric unit could be found somewhere in the country as Leicester’s Arnold Lodge was currently full with a long waiting list.

Romeo is due back in court on June 3.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


    Register | Lost your password?