Thug threw man against moving train and escapes jail

Thug threw man against moving train and escapes jail

A YOB who threw a terrified good Samaritan into the side of a moving freight train leaving him “inches from death” has escaped jail. 

Drunken Daniel Worgan swung defenceless Robert Evans against one of the fast-moving train’s cargo containers after Mr Evans defended some girls he had insulted.

Shrewsbury Crown Court heard that Mr Evans “thought he was going to die” as the train passed dangerously close to his body while his leg dangled over the platform edge.

But despite lorry driver Worgan, 34, leaving his victim scared to got out alone, he escaped with a six-month suspended sentence on Thursday.

The dad-of-three, from Oakengates, Telford, Shropshire, was caught after being identified via CCTV of the shocking attack at Shrewsbury station in July last year.

In the heart-stopping footage, Worgan can be seen plucking Evans from his group of friends and spinning him around before flinging him around ten feet across the platform straight into the side of the train as it speeds through the station.

Evans bounces off the side of the train and immediately hits the floor, only narrowly avoiding falling down the gap between platform and train.

One of Evan’s distressed friends rushes to his aid and helps him to his feet as callous Worgan calmly walks away from the scene.

Mr Robert Edwards, prosecuting, said Mr Evans, from Wigmore, Leominster, Herefordshire, was with friends waiting for a train at the railway station at 11pm on July 29 last year.

Worgan made lewd comments to some girls and Mr Evans remonstrated with him.

Mr Edwards said: “Worgan threw Mr Evans against a freight train that was moving out of the station. It was only luck that he bounced against the side and didn’t fall onto the track,” Mr Edwards said.

Mr Evans said he thought he was going to die.

He now did not like going out alone and had not been on a train since.

He suffered damage to his back and cuts to his arm and hand.

Mr Mark Sharman, for Worgan, said his client was appalled at his behaviour and had been drinking. He rarely went out and on this night had been out for his birthday.

He was given a six month jail sentence suspended for two years and ordered to do 200 hours unpaid work. He was also told to pay GBP500 compensation and GBP250 costs and put under a three-month curfew between 8pm and 6am.

Speaking after the sentence, Sgt Karl Anderson of BTP Shrewsbury described the incident as a “deliberate, violent and reckless act which left the victim being inches from death”.

He added: “It is clear through the injuries suffered and the trauma of the ordeal that this incident has had a substantial impact on the victim, who states afterwards he was about to die.”

Sgt Anderson rejected claims by Worgan in court that he had acted in self-defence.

He said: “Worgan stated he felt threatened, yet he was the aggressor and actually pulled the victim from his group before throwing him towards the train.

“These are not the actions of a person in fear of his own safety.”

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


    Register | Lost your password?