CAT NEARLY KILLED BY COLLAR CONTAINING WW2 POISON

CAT NEARLY KILLED BY COLLAR CONTAINING WW2 POISON

A pet-lover whose cat nearly died from toxic poisoning believes it was caused by a flea collar – which contains a nerve agent used in the Second World War.

Adele Ankers bought two of the PetStar products – one for her cat Lewi and another for Yorkshire terrier Meeko from her local Poundland.

But within hours of putting on the £1 collars, the 13-year-old moggy started having seizures, while her dog was left with a burned neck.

Now mum-of-three Adele, from Aylesford, Kent, is warning other pet owners to steer clear of the cheap flea collars – because they contain an organophosphate originally developed as a nerve gas during the Second World War.

The 51-year-old said: “Lewi’s head was thrashing, she was frothing at the mouth.

“Her legs were going and I held her safe.

“When she came round she had wet herself. She had fit after fit throughout the night.

“I wouldn’t wish it on anybody, it was horrible to watch.

“My animals are everything to me.”

Adele called the PDSA and Lewi was admitted as a priority to their pet hospital in Gillingham, Kent the following morning.

She was kept on a drip for two days, and then readmitted for a further two days after having another major fit at home the evening she was discharged.

Loving owner Adele was told it was touch and go if Lewi would make it – but fortunately she is now recovering well.

Adele said: “I’m not after compensation or anything like that. I just don’t want it happening to other people.”

The dangerous collars contain dimpylate, also known as diazinon, which was used as a nerve gas in the Second World War.

More than 50 products containing the substance have been banned in France for fears they were harmful to their pets’ owners.

However, Britain’s regulator, the Veterinary Medicines Directorate, took the decision not to impose similar action.

The PetStar products warn that they should be removed if the cat or dog becomes drowsy, listless or struggles to breathe.

A Poundland spokesman said: “The product in question is widely available in a number of other retailers, and after speaking to the supplier they are not aware of any current issues with the product.

“We are in contact with the customer and a full investigation is under way so that we can bring this matter to an acceptable conclusion.”

    Tags:

    • After originally starting her journalism career at local paper the Leicester Mercury, Laura moved to Bristol to become a senior reporter at SWNS. She now runs the ‘Sell Us Your Story’ website, gathering different stories and undertaking general reporting and copywriting duties.

      • Show Comments (0)

      Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

      comment *

      • name *

      • email *

      • website *

      This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

      Ads

      You May Also Like

      MUM AND SON BANNED FROM KEEPING ANIMALS

      MUM AND SON BANNED FROM KEEPING ANIMALS

      A mum and son have been banned from keeping animals for five years after ...

      CANAL LOCKS TO BE OPENED BY SMARTPHONE APP

      CANAL LOCKS TO BE OPENED BY SMARTPHONE APP

      A new app which allows canal boat users to open bridges which their smartphones ...

      MAN BEATEN SO BADLY WHO COULDN'T SEE HIS KIDS ON FATHER'S DAY

      MAN BEATEN SO BADLY WHO COULDN’T SEE HIS KIDS ON FATHER’S DAY

      A dad-of-two was beaten so horrifically in a brutal street attack he could not ...

      Login