Is it possible to control pests without using dangerous and harmful chemicals?
In our homes, we find rodents, insects, and other pests that are either harmful or unpleasant to our eyes and the environment. Therefore, we tend to think that we may exterminate them with chemicals not knowing that these chemicals are harmful to ourselves, environment and to the pets around. It’s the easy option anyway. However, did you know you can rid your home of pests in an eco-friendly manner, ie without using any harmful chemicals?
Benefits of Eco-friendly Pest Control
Eco-friendly pest control is all about getting rid of pests in your home without using harmful chemicals. In other words, the environment is not polluted in the name of killing the pests. Besides, there’s a difference between getting rid of pests, and making them extinct. For instance, hedgehog are considered pests in most UK homes and gardens; but they are an endangered species and home owners are encouraged to get rid of them without diminishing their already dwindling numbers.
The Eco-friendly organic system works according to the following four themes:
The extermination officer has to identify the insects or rodents on the ground. He also identifies the causes which lead to knowing the preventive measures to be taken.
This involves putting in place detection methods and knowing when to take action.
The extermination officer intervenes by using various methods of psychological, mechanical, biological and physical control. As a last solution, the chemical method is used.
The exterminator must regularly monitor the progress of the steps taken and if necessary continue implementing the methods used if need be.
Eco-friendly methods are considered to be worth considering alternatives to harmful chemicals that are applied against the invasion of insects and rodents. It has a lot of advantages such as reducing pesticide residues, eliminates the risk of ground and surface water pollution. It prevents pest invasion and makes the soil fertile in rural areas.
Methods used in organic Eco-friendly pest control
- Biological Control
This is where predators are used against each other. For example spiders, centipedes, bacteria, viruses and fungi can be used to hunt those predators that are present already.
- Psychological Control
This method applies when anything is used to eliminate or catch pests such as traps, lures, baits, scarecrows, poisoned feeds or electrocution screens.
- Mechanical Control
This method includes creating of physical barriers such as fences, electric wires, regulating and control of temperatures, wire mesh, scaring devices, boiling water, etc.
Four Ways To Pest Control Your Garden
- Plant herbs like, Mint, Lavender, Rosemary, Basil, and lemongrass. They work as a natural pest control.
- Sprinkle seasonings along your window sills, cupboards, closets, door frames or bookshelves. Some seasonings like Cinnamon, Salt, Cayenne, Black pepper etc are pest deterrents.
- Clean your home with vinegar and essential oils. Mix ½ cup vinegar with 2 cups water add a few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus. This removes smells and food particles and therefore the insects, bugs and other crawlies will not stay.
– Orange, lime and lemon peels are natural insecticides. Mix them with ground coffee and cucumber peels and create a cleaning spray.
– Leftover onion cuts mixed with water repels mosquitoes. This mixture should be left outside the windows.
Eco-Friendly pest control methods are safe, affordable, and very effective. For pest control services in north London contact Pest Exterminators (https://www.pestcontrolinlondon.co.uk/).